Thursday 11 July 2013

How do you like yourself as a person?

When I came back to Singapore, I'm happy for what seemed like normal for most people.

I'm happy I get to go on Asian holidays, as compared to others who love their European destinations. I'm happy when readers write to me, though I do know I have much lesser as compared to the past, but I know the ones who stay to read for the content.
I'm happy when my parents tried to do things for me when I'm back, such as replacing my old airconditioning for a new set even though I'm not a regular user of it. (I found it really useful during haze.) My brother buying me simple gifts from his Krabi holidays.
I'm also happy when my friends spend time to meet me, catching up on good times that I've missed during that one year I was away.

me in london (L) and vienna (R)
IMG_5521IMG_4942
I like myself better now than 2 years ago.

I was an avid blogger and a marketing person in a bank, and to keep up with blogging and earning that extra cash, I found myself being absorbed with taking pictures of products, writing advertorials instead of spending quality time with my friends and family. I don't find writing a pleasure anymore, instead, I wrote to chase up to deadlines, and it wasn't easy with a full time job.
I envied people with their branded goods, and it's such a common sight in private banks because everyone can afford one.

When I really went to Paris myself to buy that bag that I thought I wanted for so long, or carried that Celine that I thought looked beautiful on pictures, I realised that it wasn't what it seemed to be. I see tons of people carrying the same things here in Asia, and then I see the tremendous queue before you get to try the products, and then I realise that the bag takes up your entire month's salary, then I rush to the airport to claim those troublesome taxes. I could have bought a lot more branded if I wanted to since I spent most of my work trips in London, but I didn't. Now my branded bags sit on my shelf and I only wear the ones that are easier on my shoulders and maintenance is a b*tch.

I even like how I blog better now.

Now that I become a reader myself that I came to realise that I get bored with chunks of reviews and advertorials, instead of reading what my favorite blogger really does, or what he/she is thinking.
More often than not, social media platforms gives us the room to envy characters with better jobs, better salaries, better skin (omgawd, terrible skin does suck), prettier faces, better partners, richer backgrounds blablabla, but we didn't take time to think about how some others would like to be in our position. I think the word here is appreciate and I hate to know that I've taken too many things for granted.

So..
I made a promise to myself to work harder in my relationship with JS, exercise more, spend more time with my family, eat healthier by planning more vege in my meals, and save harder to travel further.
Traveling is one expense I will not omit from my life and I cannot explain why, but every new place I've been gives me an amazing feeling. I conclude that now I can only be travel-envy and that is what my envy's worth.

I will like to quote a nice article on traveling that JS has shared with me HERE. Read it when you're free and this made a lot of sense, except that I can never really find myself backpacking and saving on hotels.