Thursday 23 May 2013

I hate gastritis

I visited the A&E yesterday.
maalox
I have a very weak tummy to begin with, and it is really hard for me to resist food I really like.
My family doctor once told me that I should avoid or have less of:
- greasy, fried food
- buffet / eating too much at once
- lactose

Most of the times when I have too much of the above, I will experience a bloated tummy, and some slight discomfort that makes me ill. With such a weak tummy, I get infection of the stomach easily, especially with street food, spicy and greasy food, while others just have a round of diarrhea or two at worst. Whenever I get acute gastritis, I will have sharp pains around the central upper stomach area, so antacids like Maalox actually help to defuse that pain.

Of course, Panadols give me a temporary relief whenever I don't have my antacids with me.
porridge
I've also found this page on "gastritis diet" while I was researching, so it might be of help if you do have the same problem as I do, since I knew very little of it before.
(credits: http://www.gastritisdiet.info/)

  • Try to avoid caffeine - Lowering your caffeine intake will help you avoid that heartburn feeling. Caffeine affects the pH in our stomach and can often cause that extra acid rumble, that is going to give you heartburn. Look at coffee and tea, and even soda pop as the culprit. 
  • Limit chocolate – Try and limit the amount of chocolate in your diet, this can often cause stomach upsets. 
  • High acidic and spicy foods – Foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits alter the pH in the stomach often irritating the stomach or causing heartburn. 
  • Avoid excessive alcohol use – Try to limit alcohol consumption. 
  • Avoid lactose from dairy or gluten from wheat – These foods have been linked to stomach irritation. 
  • Avoid using aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications – These are known to irritate the stomach. If you are using these in moderation, take with a small meal to minimize stomach irritation.
  • Try eating smaller frequent meals during the day. By doing this, it allows you to keep smaller portions of food in the stomach at one time. If you eat large portions of food at each meal, it can cause the stomach to become to full and push the acid up into the esophagus causing that negative feeling of heartburn or acid reflux. 
  • Avoid laying down anytime after eating a meal. Once you lay down after a meal, it’s easier for the contents of the stomach to empty out into the esophagus causing that feeling you want to avoid.
*   *   *

On a happier note,  Suy adopted Jakster so he became my new housemate!
I'm really unsure which breed he is since Veriza bought it from a pet store in Dubai, and gave him away since her housemate had a rash towards fury pets ( I think?)
rabbit
Such a cutie. I guess the one thing I never knew about rabbits is its ability to eat. It seems like it's eating and jumping around all the time, and the speed that it hops, is faster than the speed I brisk walk.

Random picts of me and Suy while waiting for our friends to meet Jakster at home :)
20130520_152816_mr001_resizedsuy
I kinda photoshopped my acne scars away... the next time I see my derm, I should let him know that I want a Vit A serum.

*   *   *

While I was in bed, I was looking around for a new bag (I've been thinking of owning a medium, and/or a contemporary designer from NY) so brands like alexander wang, marc by marc, michael kors have been in my mind since.... I've not really set my mind on 3.1 philip lim because Ive seen quite a few fakes in the market..
Then again, I really like its expandable design... so I might go give it a visit in Saks fifth ave (nyc) when I'm there this weekend


pashli
Considering its sturdy embossed leather and its size, I might get it as a homecoming gift for myself! I had a go at the Celine nano luggage before, but I find it on the chunky and heavy end, and I wasn't prepared to pay that much for a bag before I get a new job in Singapore.

Then again, we shall see ;)