Monday 4 June 2012

Beijing in May part I

Came back from Roma (omg awesome place with beautiful scenic postcard-like pictures) and I realized that I haven't post about my China flights cos there were in drafts! Gonna post them all before I go on to Rome :)

* * * *

Just came back from Shanghai 3 days ago and I had the pleasure to have my room mate to be traveling with me. I found that I really liked traveling, with or without company. With someone by my side, I get to go to scenic places, share the same palate with a friend, shop and laugh together. When I'm alone, I get to explore places I never would by myself, sometimes get a little lost but with surprises that come my way, stop by cafes and pen down my personal thoughts or write a random postcard to somebody. A lot of things I would love to take pictures of, and blog about but many things have to be seen and experienced by one to know exactly how it feels to be at that place, and that moment. The scenic places, the night views, are things that even my SLR can never capture. Such amazing views and feelings can only be seen and felt with traveling. 

I'll continue with my travelogue.

 Beijing - May 2012

I never knew how much I liked China until I came here. Used to dislike it as a destination until I realized how magnificent and beautiful it was and is as a country.
  IMG_1333IMG_1330
Gathered my things to meet my girls! Check out my orange tote I bought from Bangkok.

My favorite chinese herbal drink, Wang Lao Ji. Not as sweet as Jiajia herbal tea sold in SG, but it still taste good :)
IMG_1325

With my Asian friends having hotpot that day :)
IMG_1319IMG_1324
Sure you've met Becky through my entries :)

The mixed pot 鸳鸯锅 with lots of veg and meat dishes. The thinly sliced beef taste soooo good with the spicy soup base. We only paid 50yuan each (S$10), as compared to 150dirham (S$50) hotpot I have in SG. I'll never have 小肥羊 in other countries again!
IMG_1323

Woke up early to be dragged out by Becky to do shopping at the Silk Market. 
IMG_1357IMG_1365

busy roads of BeijingIMG_1367
Had breakfast before we went out at this porridge place which does pretty good cod fish porridge ;)
IMG_1370
Becks certainly looks fresh T_T
IMG_1371

Arrived at Silk Market excited, because there are so many things that they have.
DVDs, clothes, bags, shoes etc. I'm glad to buy a winter coat from here, because it costs so much to buy in Dubai even after sales!
IMG_1378 IMG_1381 IMG_1387
I'm a HK drama junkie, and for the price you pay, you expect that a few episodes cannot be viewed LOL!!

Dinner was done and it was all pork and meaty dishes :D~
IMG_1390IMG_1391
Guess what I bought home? Frozen buns for the win!
IMG_1392
My friends loved the custard bun, while I do like the roasted pork too.
Currently thinking of how happy I was to receive Hong Kong trips next month, and that makes me thrilled (dim sum dim sum!)

Returned to Beijing another time and I promised myself that I had to do Forbidden City after watching this new drama I had, 步步惊心
IMG_1414IMG_1417
dressed up (my new super dry tee) and had Paris Baguette which did open in China!

Arrived at Forbidden City 故宫 with my friends.
IMG_1424
and realized the taxi driver took us to the exit door (北门)
Grrrr, we could only enter through 南门 which was 40 minutes walk from where we were, since the FC is a huge place.

Nonetheless, we took pictures (since it was really beautiful to have them taken) before we strolled to the other entry gate.
IMG_1427 IMG_1429

It was declared one of the heritage sites during the year I was born!
IMG_1431IMG_1432
The entry gate seemed miles away, as we strolled by the river bank that divides the passenger walkway and the palaces.

With Celeste who looked beautiful in her green maxi she bought in the mall.
IMG_1434IMG_1435 IMG_1438

Frantically walked for 45 minutes to the right gate and queued for another 20 mins to get the tickets. Grrrrr!!!
IMG_1439 IMG_1442

#coolestgirls in Beijing
IMG_1444 IMG_1449
best picture of me and forbidden city

longest rows of rooms
IMG_1453IMG_1456

the interior of one of the halls:
IMG_1454

if you do watch 步步惊心, this should be familiar for you ;)
IMG_1458

structure
IMG_1464 IMG_1465

I bought the chinese sausage and it's so yummy!! Took pictures with buddy Cel before we went into the hall of mental cultivation.
IMG_1466IMG_1469 IMG_1478

IMG_1472IMG_1471 IMG_1474IMG_1477

Tai He Men (Gate of supreme harmony), one of the major gate/hall in Forbidden City that I've seen. Majestic!
IMG_1448 IMG_1480

Gio with one of the knobs ;)IMG_1482 IMG_1479

Will continue on our imperial garden and jingshan park tomorrow :)