Saturday 21 April 2012

so my 5 days rest goes like this...

I was on a movie marathon this week since I was on 5 days leave ( like the rest of my friends, coincidentally), so we decided to hang out for some healthier activities. No more beach parties and hottest clubs in town.

I was targeting to watch Titanic 3D but V wanted street dance, being quite a fan for dance themed movies, we went!
street-dance-2-sequel-quad
So one day, we did street dance 2 in 3D (honestly, I think the movie was so-so just that they did a little of latin dance which I really liked), and Titanic was still mind-blowing good.
For the fact that Dubai cut some steamy scenes (which cannot be helped really), I still loved the movie as much as I did when I first watched it 15 years ago.

titanic-poster-leonardo-dicaprio-kate-winslet
That reminded me of something:
I am pretty sure I haven't blogged about the Titanic Artifact Exhibition that I attended @ the ArtScience museum, before I left Singapore for Dubai and it has to be the best exhibition I attended due to my interest in this ginormous ship.

I'm not sure if it's still on, but it's really worth the $21 that Hannah and I paid for. We had a "boarding pass" printed with a passenger name and at the end of the exhibition, there was a plaque with the survivors and victims names - which we would match to see if our "passenger" did survive.
Mine was a first class female passenger and yes- she did survive.
I guess due to the statistics of first class & second class female and child passengers, I wasn't that surprised really...
php5qyQAQ6255624647_9129883f11ThirdClassCabin 2
the very big difference between a first class and a 3rd class cabin - and 3rd class cabins only had 1 toilet for each gender :O

let's bring me back to the present, here r some pictures with our geeky 3D spectacles that we bought. Apparently they don't loan them like SG cinemas do, and they only cost SGD1 so it was cool buying your own!
3d
(top: street dance @ dubai mall, bottom: titanic @ deira city center)
3d2 magno
and we had time to catch up with magnolia cakes. this time I satisfied my cravings for carrot cake and red velvet. Gosh the carrot cakes are the best I had! topped up with cream cheese, i don't mind getting fat for them :D
cake

Mike decided to bring us to a place for dinner, and he initially told Em that it was a "shack"type of house that we're going, and we were feeling adventurous to find out the type of food we were going to expect!
IMG_0691IMG_0692IMG_0696IMG_0697
@ Bu Qtair Restaurant, a hidden place in Jumeirah where locals and expats who have lived long enough in Dubai would come for a seafood feast. Good that we had Mike who stayed here for 6 years!
IMG_0698
me and my favorite austrian friend, well logically, I only have one :p

we ordered 2kg of prawns (we only managed to finish 1/2 of it) and a large fish (which obviously wasn't enough for the 6 of us).
IMG_0702 IMG_0703
lesson learnt: lesser prawns and more fish next time!

my dinner kakis, we were a good mix.
From left: Ems is a Norwegian, V a malaysian, Mike a Singaporean, Schirien is a Dutch-Egyptian, and of course we know Rita an Austrian.
IMG_0705 IMG_0706
miss these pratas (fried dough), they come unlimited!

V and I at our fish, wish we had ordered an even bigger one cos fried fish is good!
IMG_0710 IMG_0711
Rita and Schirien @ their food :)

Next was Courtyard, Al Manzil Hotel for some arabic desserts.
I'm good with food, but desserts....?  Initially when Mike was talking me into it, I was rather skeptical really. I don't think I dig Arabic spices, but well, as always, I was pleasantly surprised with what I found myself liking.
IMG_0712

Doing mirror shots, the Asian style and Rita trying to feign her tummy into looking pregnant.
IMG_0715IMG_0719
ugly faces before we moved to the conservatory.

A restaurant that serves up good arabic food and desserts. They do have western desserts but more known for their arabic ones and their shisha. We're really big on Shishas here.
IMG_0721 IMG_0722 IMG_0724
Seated outside at a temperature of 23 degrees is cooling ;)

Ever since V showed us the magic lights (which changes 6 colors with a switch), the girls around the table has been fooling around with it. Check out Em's jewel blue eyes :)
IMG_0726IMG_0728 IMG_0729

took a picture with all of us here;
IMG_0731

Mike took us a walk through the residences and boy are they beautiful. The rich and famous could afford to stay here.
IMG_0738 IMG_0748IMG_0750IMG_0751

then it was time to head back to the tables when the desserts came.
IMG_0760

Introducing the hot and cold arabian desserts.

Cold dessert (light rose taste milk custard): Muhallebi
IMG_0764IMG_0765
Hot dessert (bread pudding alike): Umm Ali

Schirien pouring us some Morrocan mint tea which goes nice with their arabic cookies :)
IMG_0761
Us having tea and dessert the Dubai style! Thanks to Mike for the fantastic eating spots!
IMG_0763

Off to london again this Thursday and hoping I get fully recovered before :) Looking forward to the month of May being my 3rd month here in DXB.